VOTE HOME is a DA Abroad initiative. It is a non-partisan campaign launched by the DA Abroad purely for the purposes of educating South Africans overseas about how to vote abroad. We hope you enjoy using the VOTE HOME website.
The personal information you submit via the VOTE HOME website, social channels or any email communication will only be used for the purposes of informing you about how to vote abroad, and will not be shared with any third parties.
- what information DA Abroad may collect about you;
- how DA Abroad will use information we collect about you;
- when DA Abroad may use your details to contact you;
- whether DA Abroad will disclose your details to anyone else;
- your choices regarding the personal information you provide to us;
1. Who we are
2. What information will DA Abroad collect about me?
When you contact the VOTE HOME team, sign up for email updates or contact the DA Abroad to make a donation, become a member, or sign up to any of DA Abroad’s activities or online content, such as newsletters, competitions, or message boards, or you telephone, email, write to or text DA Abroad, or engage with VOTE HOME or DA Abroad via social media channels, we may receive and retain personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number.
By submitting your details, you enable DA Abroad to provide you with the goods, services, information, activities or online content you select. If you are simply browsing this website as an anonymous visitor, DA Abroad may still collect certain information from you, such as your IP addresses (an IP address is a number that can uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on the internet). If you enter your contact details in one of our online forms, we may use this information to contact you about the VOTE HOME campaign even if you don’t “send” or “submit” the form. We will only do this to see if we can help with any problems you might be experiencing with the form or with our websites.
3. How will DA Abroad use the information you collect about me?
The personal information you submit on the VOTE HOME website will only be used for the purposes of communicating information on voting abroad. DA Abroad will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- in relation to any correspondence you have entered into with us whether by letter, email, text, social media, message board or any other means;
- for internal record keeping;
- to contact you about any content you provide;
- to invite you to participate in surveys or research about VOTE HOME, DA Abroad or our work (participation is always voluntary);
- for marketing purposes where you have specifically consented to receive marketing communications from us (see below);
- to provide you with information about our activities or online content you have agreed to receive;
- to personalise the way VOTE HOME content is presented to you;
- to use IP addresses to identify the location of users, to block disruptive use, to establish the number of visits from different countries;
- to analyse and improve the activities and content offered by the VOTE HOME website to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience. We may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes.
4. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
The DA Abroad will only contact you for marketing purposes where you have freely given consent to do so. You may provide that consent in various ways including though online or paper forms or face to face though engagement with one of our team. Please see section 8 below for information on how to change your communication preferences, including opting out of future marketing communications.
5. Will DA Abroad share my personal information with anyone else?
We will only use your information within the DA Abroad and the Democratic Alliance for the purposes for which it was obtained. DA Abroad and the Democratic Alliance will not, under any circumstances, share or sell your personal data with any third party for marketing purposes and you will not receive offers from other companies or organisations as a result of giving your details to us. We may need to share your information with “data processors” such as our service providers, associated organisations and agents who help us to prepare and send the materials relating to our projects and fundraising activities. These “data processors” will only act under our instruction and we will not allow these organisations to use your data for their own purposes and will take care to ensure that they keep your data secure. We will also comply with legal requests where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies for tax purposes or law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime, subject to such bodies providing us with a relevant request in writing).
6. Offensive or inappropriate content placed on the VOTE HOME website
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content to or anywhere on the VOTE HOME website or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on any VOTE HOME or DA Abroad service, we may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
7. How long will DA Abroad keep my personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity. If you request that we stop sending you marketing materials we will keep a record of your contact details and appropriate information to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted by us.
8. What is DA Abroad’s policy on allowing me to update, correct, or delete my personal information?
The accuracy of your information is really important to us. We want to ensure that we are able to communicate with you in ways that you are happy with, and to provide you with information that is of interest. If you wish to change how we communicate with you, or update the information we hold, then please contact us via email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also opt out of marketing emails at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in any marketing email from VOTE HOME or DA Abroad.
9. Cookies Policy – information DA Abroad collects from your computer or mobile device
a. What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files on your device. They are made by your web-browser when you visit a website. Every time you go back to that website, your browser will send the cookie file back to the website’s server. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user’s device. You can find more information about cookies at: www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu. For more information, visit https://ico.org.uk/global/cookies/
Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improving the user experience.
They can also help to ensure that adverts you see online are more relevant to you and your interests.
c. Further information on DA Abroad cookies and how to control your cookie preferences
A list of the main cookies that we use and what each is used for, together with ways to control your cookie preferences are listed here:
The VOTE HOME website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. Google Analytics sets a cookie in order to evaluate your use of the website and compile reports for us on activity on the site.
Google stores the information collected by the cookie on servers in the United States of America. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. By using the VOTE HOME website, you consent to the processing of data about you by Google in the manner and for the purposes set out above.
How to reject or delete this cookie: https://www.google.com/intl/en/privacypolicy.html
Cookies set by Third Party sites
To enrich our content, we sometimes embed photos and video content from websites such as YouTube, Facebook or Twitter. As a result, when you visit a page with content embedded from, for example, YouTube, Facebook or Twitter, these sites may set a cookie.
The VOTE HOME website also carries embedded ‘share’ buttons to enable users of the site to easily share articles with their friends through a number of popular social networks, for example, Facebook, Twitter or Google+. These sites may set a cookie when you are also logged in to their service.
DA Abroad does not control the dissemination of these cookies and you should check the relevant third party website for more information about these.